Saturday, December 30, 2006

A contraction of aeons.

Christmas was nice. We were fortunate enough to have generous gifts on all sides, however was marred by family fall-outs (isn't this the norm?!).
I was struck on Christmas Day evening by an interesting contraction of aeons. Whilst listening to a double CD of Mountain recorded live in 1971 I was skimming through Dionysius of Halicarnassus's Roman Antiquities (both of which I had asked for). It seemed interesting to me to be reading and listening to two very different media which were created nearly two thousand years apart.

I also received some money from Granny's estate just before Xmas. It feels strange accepting someone else's money (I have never inherited directly anything before). I am going to find a nice photograph of Granny from the slide archives I have and print a large one to frame and mount somewhere. I think it's the least I can do as a thankyou. Max will not remember her unfortantely, but having a good photo will help. With the money I have purchased some computer parts and have built a decent computer (i.e. spent a bit more and got some good components rather than scrimping as usual). I'm still figuring out the best configuration though. Do I go for a 1.5 Gb/s RAID 0 array or buy the external SATA converter cable and go for the 3 Gb/s RAID 0 array? Alternatively I could just do a simple JBOD? Decisions... decisions...

(by the way: aeons or eons? My linguistic pedantry is vast, however I also love the way languages evolve. In this case I prefer aeons, simply because it's more interesting)

No comments: