Thursday, August 23, 2007

Future, schmuture

In the future humans will look back on this period as we look back on the Victorians. I feel that we are on the cusp (within my lifetime I hope) or a major scientific discovery akin to Einstein's Relativity theories which will provide some more answers in tying up the nature of the universe. Our theories don't quite cut it at the moment, but I feel like there's something big lurking under the surface of our current knowledge (a monster!!: link).

To think of one's descendants looking back on our current age with a sort of wistful patronage is slightly disturbing, but no less problematic than our forefathers' image of the future. Their beliefs in their own success and (especially late 19th Century) arrogance in their own knowledge are not too far removed from our current arrogance and beliefs. Science continually thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread, but time and time again (by very nature of the scientific method) is proved wrong when new theories come to light. This is the normal way to conduct science, but I wish that sometimes we would have more creativity and humility in the science I see.

On a slightly different future tip it is my belief that in the future all of humanity will be vegetarian. Exactly when in the future is difficult to predict, but I think that within 200 years or so. If this is the case why not make the effort now and be a bit proactive. My descendants would be proud that I was vegetarian at a relatively early period. When looking for moral guidance I often extrapolate humanity into the future and ask the question how would we do it in 500 years? If I can mimic that behaviour now then that is a truly advanced way to be. Obviously this is based on pure conjecture, but it's fun and, anyway, how else are we supposed to find a moral pathway?! Certainly not based on our history. In spite of the growing ills in society I still think that as we move forward in time we become more enlightened, educated and civilised.
How do I judge what our society will be like in the future? It's tricky, but there are some fundamental things that I think I can count on:
1. Technology will be far more advanced than can be imagined at the moment
2. There will be too many people on the planet
3. We will have harnessed practically endless supplies of energy
4. We will have colonised other worlds
5. Organised religion will have all but disappeared
6. We will have discovered methods to prolong human life well beyond the current limits

I believe that these changes will bring about grand changes in morality, including vegetarianism (if only for practical and health reasons or necessity(link)), but also things like violence and harm to others.

There is a long way to go and probably several wars and terrible events and, of course, this is all a little bit tenuous, but quite plausible. It's also a little bit "Star Trek", but I believe that this will happen within a few hundred years. Else as a species we are doomed!

... and it's not just me: link

No comments: