Friday, April 27, 2007

Whiskey catholicon

It's clear to me that the health industry (including so-called alternative therapies) doesn't really know how to cure us of our ills. I'll admit that for a large number of problems modern medicine (again, I include many alternative therapies) can heal the human body very well, however there are always people who heal themselves in many different ways. There is so much that is not understood about the human body and the way that the psyche can affect its workings that I am amazed when anyone claims to know something categorically.

I think I have a very positive attitude (PMA) towards most things and especially my own body and it's ability to heal itself. Obviously I am ill on occasion, but I pride myself in the fact that it's less than most people and I put some of it down to my attitude (I am also slightly blessed with general good health). I also have some alternative remedies of my own, for example I take whiskey for a sore throat. The onset of a viral infection can have many symptoms and, seemingly, modern medicine has no cure for most of them. Perhaps it's a psychosomatic reaction that makes me think I can be cured by whiskey, or perhaps it's a general feeling of wellness accompanied by a wee tot, but in either event I very often think the home-spun, old grandmother's cure-alls do the trick as much as the "official" antidote. The history of medicine is really just a catalogue of science catching up with anecdotal restoratives in my view, so why bow to the modern physic machine? I think I'll stick with my tot and a good laugh.

No comments: